Property Taxes – What Taxes Do You Pay If You Have an Investment Property?

Property Taxes – What Taxes Do You Pay If You Have an Investment Property?

In Australia there are no investment property taxes as such, however your property sale may be subject to Capital Gains Tax (CGT). The purchase and sale of your property in Australia will be subject to Goods and Services Tax (GST) and your rental income will be subject to Income Tax.

GST is paid on almost everything in Australia at a rate of 10% on the purchase price of your property. GST must be paid on all property that is connected with Australia. With regard to residential property in Australia that is purchased and rented out, the investor can make a claim on input tax credits. That is any GST paid on goods and services purchased to maintain the property can be claimed as input tax credits. These input tax credits can be claimed on a Business Activity Statements (BAS) as a refund and reduce the amount of GST paid overall.

If your Investment Property is held as in a Trust or purchased by a Company, the Trust or Company must register for GST if it’s turnover is greater than $75,000 or $150,000 for a non-profit organisation in a financial year. Once registered for GST the Trust or Company must lodge BAS regularly.

If your Rental Income is paid direct to you and the property is not owned by a Superannuation Fund, Trust or Company, then the Rental Income will be taxed at your Marginal Tax Rate. That is, if you pay tax at a top rate of 45 cents in a dollar, your Rental Income will be taxed at 45 cents in a dollar.

Thus the importance of communicating with your Accountant and Financial Planner about your financial situation so they can work out the best ways to purchase your investment property or properties in order to minimise or postpone the amount of Income Tax that you pay. That is, they will consider using a Self Managed Superannuation Fund, Trust or Company to be set up to purchase your properties.

Capital gains tax is another tax you will be subject to when you sell your property. So it is best to sell your property when your income is at a minimum as Capital Gains Tax is paid at your Marginal Tax Rate which is dependent on your income. If your Investment Property is owned for more than 12 months, you may able to receive a 50% discount on Capital Gains Tax.

Now, you are probably thinking is all this worthwhile? If you want to increase your holdings of property investments and you income, and you like the idea of investing in property, this may be the ideal solution for you. There are property investment specialists, Financial Planners, Accountants and Mortgage Brokers whom can assist you with your financial strategies to obtain the best outcomes for you.